A chest x-ray is a picture of your chest that shows your lungs, heart and
bones. This test is quick and painless.
If you are pregnant, or think you might be, tell the staff before the
Arrive on time for your test. The test takes about 15 minutes. Plan to
be here about 30 minutes.
During the Test
- • You will need to remove clothing with metal in it, such as a bra or
shirts with snaps or zippers. You may be asked to wear a hospital
- • Two x-rays are taken. You will be told to take a deep breath and hold
it when the x-rays are taken.
- For the first x-ray, stand facing the x-ray board. Your arms are
- moved forward to move your shoulder blades apart.
- For the second x-ray, stand with your left side against the x-ray
- board with both arms raised above your head.
- Test results are sent to your doctor. Your doctor will share the results
- with you.
Talk to your doctor or nurse if you have any questions or concerns.